Every Dollar Goes To Save An Animal!

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Under The Sun by Frances Pauli


IS THERE anything new out there, really? As an author, and especially one who writes Speculative Fiction, the goal is always to stretch toward uniqueness, to invent something completely new and original.
     Maybe thats stating the obvious, but a lot of the time, the goal is a lot harder to reach than you might imagine.
     Sometimes you hit it out of the park, a thought so purely and distinctly yours tickles you into action. Success. Youve hit on something new. Finally. Until you go to the movies a few months later and see something so similar it makes you want to weep openly. You thought of it first, right? Didnt you?
     Sigh. Tell me this has happened to other authorsplease? Im not ashamed to admit it. It happens to me all the time. I invent new technologies only to find shades of them in the latest Consumer Electronics. I create creatures so bizarre they have to be unique, and then see a cousin in the newest Scyfy series. (Dont get me started on the Sci-Fi thing.) Am I unimaginably predictable? So average that my brainwaves only fluctuate in the obvious range? Or are we all tuned into the same, giant, universal wavelength?
     Heck if I know. What I do know is that creating something completely unique is a challenge. Even the pros struggle with it. Ive read that there are only a finite number of story themes possible, and that all tales ever written are merely a version of one or the other of them. While the thought gives me shivers, I imagine its close to the mark.
     So should the Speculative author give up? Well, wheres the fun in that? Theres more to a tale than one element, and how a story is told can be equally important as anything else. Maybe its enough to have a unique perspectivesomething we are all inherently gifted with. Even if the most original thing an author can manage is their voice, I think thats a pretty good start.
     As for that new technology…I intend to keep trying. Somewhere out there is a device or gadget, or ship’s drive that belongs to me alone.
     I’ll let you know when I find it.


Roarke by Frances Pauli
Published by Devine Destinies
Short Science Fiction Romance
 
Blurb: 
      They have to be lying when they tell her she was dead. With no memory of her past, and no idea who she actually is, Nora has little options. Alone, and at the mercy of the Mercenary Defense Conglomerate, she searches for clues into her past, and the truth about her supposed demise.
      If she is a prisoner, robbed of memory and held against her will, then she must trust no one. If she has, in fact, returned from the dead, then who could possibly help her? Armed with only her wits and her inexplicably sharpened senses, she is forced to play along, to search for the holes in their story, and to piece together the flashes of memory that serve only to taunt her.

     But the visions seem to confirm the impossible. The man who is supposed to be her fiancĂ© seems bent on confusing her, and the one person she is desperate to be near may very well be responsible for her death. If the silent Roarke is her enemy, why do her visions draw her closer to him? And why, when nothing else seems remotely familiar, does Nora find herself remembering, or wanting to remember only him?
Author Bio: 
    Though she always held aspirations to be a writer, Frances originally chose to pursue a career in visual arts. Her stories, however, had other plans for her. By the time she entered her thirties, they were no longer content existing solely in her head.  Compelled to free them, she set aside her easel and began to write in earnest
    She currently resides smack in the center of Washington State with her husband and two children. When not writing she dabbles in insane things like puppetry, belly dance and playing the ukulele. She collects rocks, and is a firm believer in good wine, fine chocolate and dangerous men.
     Her short fiction has appeared in Alternative Coordinates magazine.  
More information on Frances and her writing can be found on her website.
She also offers free reads online.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I definitely feel you on this subject! (It's also a reason why I can't STAND the tons of REMAKES of everything I keep seeing.

    As a writer, one can definitely take and weave a new tale on something 'old' and 'refresh' it, but thinking up something utterly new feels like it's darn near impossible. But I do agree, as long as the author has a unique 'voice' that's a really good start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great topic. Same thing happens to me. Not only that but my current WIP, the main character's name is Aurork and here you have, Roarke. Are our brains connected? LOL

    Even if it is a story already told, each of us can put our own spin on it. Given the same topic, I'm sure many of us would go different ways ... well, in the speculative/sci-fi area. At least, I try, too.

    Yeah, on the SyFy / Sci-Fi thing. I'm still trying to figure out why they thought that a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! That is funny. Things like that happen all the time in my writers' group as well. One of us will unveil our new, top-secret plot idea only to find out several of the other members are currently writing something similar.
    I think we must get our wires crossed from time to time.
    The best example happened during an exercise. The intention was to write a few sentences off the cuff and then we'd pass them along and each add something--like the game telephone, but in writing. One of the gals and I wrote almost the same two sentences.
    sigh. scratch that idea.
    Thank goodness our brains can keep tossing out new ones!
    And Mistress Rae, I'm also very tired of remakes. Someone in Hollywood has to have an original idea, right?
    anyone?
    :-)
    Frances

    ReplyDelete
  4. Original ideas are not proven money-makers. Why are we going to waste our time on them when we could do a bad remake and bring in millions? Yeah, I'm a terrible trend-follower. I do my own thing whether it's popular or not. Maybe I'm the next big wave, just way ahead of the rest of the pack. At least I tell myself that.

    So let's go buck some trends and write our stuff our way. Great post, Frances.

    ReplyDelete